October NewsletterPosted by Rachel Burgess on 10/1/2018 10:30:00 AM
It was a pleasure meeting all that attended our first coffee conversation “Java with Joy.” As stated at the talk, Nisha and I plan on holding these meetings once a trimester. Please note that while our first session was heavily dominated with myself and Nisha speaking, in the future, we do anticipate a more collaborative conversation.
Please help me in welcoming our newest dolphin to the Dougherty campus. Linda Tran is our new Health Clerk. You can find her in our Health Office tending to boo boos and comforting our sick children. Please say hello and welcome Linda to our campus!
Below you will find some information about exciting events taking place at Dougherty this month. I look forward to seeing you all at the Halloween BOOooogie!
INTEGRITY IN ACTION:
For the months of August and September, students were asked to focus on the trait of being respectful. As a result, each classroom teacher nominated two students who went above and beyond to demonstrate this trait. Please note that all awards winners will be on display on the board outside of our main office. Please make sure to check out our winners the next time you are on campus!
For the month of October, we at Dougherty Elementary School will focus on the character trait of responsibility. Students will practice and demonstrate ways in which we are accountable for our actions. It would be helpful if you followed up with this idea at home, by asking students to pack up their own backpacks, being responsible for the completion of their classwork and homework assignments, etc.
PARKING LOT REMINDERS:
- Please do not drop your student off in the parking lot. If you wish to drop off, please use the drive thru lanes along the curb.
- If parking, please make sure that you are parking in a spot that is unmarked. All spots marked “STAFF” are for those that work at Dougherty.
- Please make sure you are using the crosswalks when crossing across the lanes of traffic. We want to ensure the safety of our students, as well as our parents.
LOST AND FOUND:
Our Lost and Found is starting to pile up! If you have not already done so, please make sure that you check the items in our Lost and Found. Please note that all items not retrieved will be donated at the end of October.
Halloween is right around the corner and we want our families to know what is acceptable for costumes to make this a positive and fun environment for all. We ask for your support in helping students to comply with these rules.
- Costumes must comply with the school dress codes, be age-appropriate (no R-rated themes) and be respectful to others
- No blood or gore
- Students must-wear closed-toe shoes
- No full-face masks
- Students' costumes may not include pretend weapons and/or explosives. Toy guns, swords, knives, or martial arts weapons, etc., are not allowed and will be confiscated if brought to school.
- We are also asking for your cooperation in NOT allowing your children to dress up as clowns due to the possible disruption and fear it may cause. If anyone shows up with a clown-related costume, they will be asked to change
- Please help your student select costumes that support our efforts to provide a positive and fun environment.
Please follow us at Dougherty Dolphins on Twitter to keep abreast of the latest events happening at the school! You can also find us on the DUSD Instagram page.
- Please note that we are actively working to renovate our school website. This is where you should go to access all information about events taking place on our campus. The URL address is: https://www.dublin.k12.ca.us/domain/40
- If you are checking out your student early, please make sure that you have with you your identification, as IDs will be checked.
- Please be mindful of your child’s lunch times when scheduling appointments. It can be difficult to locate students when they are on the playground.
10/8 Staff Development Day, student holiday
10/10 Walk and Roll to School
10/10 Collaboration Day
10/17 Collaboration Day
10/22-26 Scholastic Book Fair
10/22-26 Red Ribbon Week
10/24 Collaboration Day
10/25 Lifetouch Picture Retake Day
10/26 PFC Halloween BOOooogie
10/31 Minimum Day
September NewsletterPosted by Rachel Burgess on 8/31/2018
It is hard to believe that we are already entering the month of September. These first few weeks of school have surely flown by. I would like to thank everyone for helping us get off to a great start this school year. Further, I want to thank those of you who were able to attend Back to School Night. The support from our Dolphin Families was outstanding.
Please mark your calendars for the first principal coffee of the year. “Java with Joy” will take place on Thursday, September 27th at 8:30 a.m. We will be meeting in the MPR. I look forward to meeting those of you that I have not yet had the chance to meet.
Please help us encourage school spirit by reminding your child to wear their Dougherty Spirit Wear or our school colors, blue and green. If you are interested in purchasing spirit wear, you can still do so in the main office or on the PFC website.
PARKING LOT REMINDERS
At Dougherty, the safety of our children is extremely important to us. We are asking that you help us keep our kids safe by following the following procedures in the parking lot:
- ALWAYS use the crosswalk when crossing the lanes of traffic. There are multiple crosswalks marked in yellow for your use.
- Please make sure that you are driving slowly through our parking lot and drop off/pick-up lanes.
- Please do not use your cell phones while driving.
- When parking, please make sure that you are parking in an unmarked spot. All parking places that are marked “STAFF” are reserved for Dougherty staff members.
- In an effort to avoid blocking traffic in our neighborhood, please make sure that you are pulling all the way forward.
- Please do not get out of your car or leave your car unattended in our drop off/pick up zones. These lanes need to be clear in case of an emergency.
I FORGOT TABLE
In an effort to avoid class interruptions, this year, we will be implementing the “I Forgot” table. This table is located in the entryway to the school. When dropping off items for your child, please make sure to use the post-it notes to label the item with the following:
- Student Name
- Room Number
Your child will pick their item up from this table throughout the school day. Right before snack recess, lunch or band, the office will notify the classrooms that have items on the table.
- Please make sure that if your child is tardy you send them to the office to sign in and take a tardy slip to class. This will help to ensure that you do not receive a call from our absence line.
- It is extremely important that your child is here at school daily. When students are absent, they do not receive instruction. Vacations should be planned around all school holidays. The district calendar can be found on the Dougherty School website, under the tab entitled “Parents and Students.”
- If you are interested in after school programs, please make sure that you check out the flyers on Peach Jar.
9/3 Labor Day, no school
9/10 5th Grade Outdoor Ed Parent Meeting at 5:30 p.m. MPR
9/14 Lifetouch Fall Picture Day
9/18 SSC at 2:15 p.m. Conference Room
9/20 PFC Meeting at 8:45 a.m. Library
9/27 Java with Joy @ 8:30 a.m. MPR
August NewsletterPosted by Rachel Burgess on 8/16/2018
What a wonderful first week of school! I have so enjoyed meeting many of you and getting to know the students. I am anticipating a fin-tastic school year and am so excited about the many school events that are quickly filling up our school calendar.
I want to share with you that each month I will be posting a newsletter on the main school website. Please check our home page to access important information that pertains to our school and our students.
I am looking forward to a year filled with building new partnerships with the parent community and students alike. I strongly encourage you to get involved. There are many ways for you serve the school community, as well as many different volunteer opportunities. I want to thank you in advance for all that you do to support our school.
Integrity in Action:
For the months of August and September, we at Dougherty Elementary school will focus on the Character Trait of responsibility. Students will practice and demonstrate ways in which we treat people or situations with high or special regard. Please help us to enforce this concept at home with your children.
In an effort to maintain a safe and calm environment, please see the reminders below. Additionally, to access the Dougherty Parking Lot Procedures, please see the link on the homepage of our school website.
- Please make sure to drive slowly through the drop off lanes.
- When entering the driveway, please pull all the way forward. You will be asked to do so if you stop along the curbside.
- DO NOT leave your vehicle unattended at any time.
- No cell phone usage at any time while operating a vehicle.
- Students and parents are expected to use the crosswalk at all times. This will help to ensure the safety of all pedestrians.
- When parking in the surrounding neighborhoods, please be aware of driveways. We do not want to block our neighbors in.
Please note that the library is not opened before school. Please do not attempt to drop your child off in the library before campus opens, as we do not have any supervision for students prior to 8:10 a.m.
I am happy to announce that we have a new addition to the Dougherty family. This year, we have two Special Day Classes on our campus. We have a DK-2nd grade classroom taught by Mrs. Jennifer Moon and a 3rd-5th grade classroom taught by Ms. Catherine Heilich. Please help me in welcoming the newest dolphins to our community.
August 22nd: School Site Council at 2:15 p.m.
August 23rd: Back to School Night for grades 1st-5th
September 3rd: Labor Day, no school
September 14th: Lifetouch Fall Pictures