Purpose of Homework:
· Serves as an extension to classroom learning.
· Provides students with relevant, challenging, and meaningful practice of academic standards.
Appropriate Parent/ Guardian Involvement:
- To obtain information about their child’s progress, parents/ guardians are encouraged to email or call the teacher.
- Parents/ Guardians may support their children by helping them:
- Establish a homework routine. Set aside a specific time and place for your child to do homework every day.
- Check in with your child daily about current and upcoming homework assignments and due dates.
- Empower your child to participate in setting up a homework routine. Giving your child this responsibility allows him/her to take an active role in their own education. Third grade is a crucial time for students to become more independent in their learning.
- If your child needs clarification on a portion of their homework, encourage your child to come directly to the teacher at school the next day.
- Students are expected to spend 30-45 minutes per day on homework. They also need to read at least 20 minutes per night.
- Daily Third Grade Homework will consist of: math and reading.
- Students are equal partners in learning with their teachers.
- Students who do not complete homework will be expected to complete the missing homework and return it the next school day. The process will be documented as follows.
- No Homework, First Time: Students will be given a verbal warning.
- No Homework, Second Time: Students will complete a reflection form, requiring a parent signature.
- No Homework, Third Time: Students will complete a reflection form, requiring a parent signature. Parents will be called to create an action plan.
- Students who are not regularly completing homework will require a parent conference with the teacher.
- If your child need more time to complete their homework, please send me a note.
Third Grade Homework Rubric
4 Outstanding Quality: It is neat, complete, shows high understanding of the task.
3 Good Quality It is neat, has few mistakes and shows good understanding of the task.
2 Average Quality: It is fairly neat but has too many mistakes. It shows some understanding of the task.
1 Poor Quality: It is not neat, it is incomplete, and/or has too many errors. It shows little understanding of the task.