4th Grade Newsletter
Welcome back to school after the holiday break! Hoping your holidays were restful, fun-filled, and filled with memories! We are back into the swing of things here in 4th grade, ready for the second half of the year!
We would like to welcome our new interim Assistant Principal, Michelle Brynjulson to Kolb! We are so excited to have her join our Kolb community!
During these cold months, please be sure to have your child practice and polish their R.A.C. strategies in reading, polish up on their multiplication facts and practice their division skills. We are moving on to harder skills in math, so if your child needs to practice, we encourage them to log onto IXL.
Miss Betando, Mrs. Burrell, Mrs. Emig and Mrs. Freschi
English Language Arts:
This month in ELA we started a three week non-fiction unit that focuses on the essential question, “How do we make decisions about developing new technology?” Students will be reading about real-world technologies, continuing to work on inferring skills, determining key events to write summaries, and answering comprehension questions using text evidence to support their answers.
Our writing focus for trimester 2 continues to be to write informational essays. Students are really working on adding details, citing text evidence from a source and giving a piece of elaboration in each section of their writing to meet the rubric.
This month in math we are working on finishing Topic 10 and beginning Topic 11: Fraction Equivalence and Ordering. Please make sure your child memorizes multiplication and division facts.
Topic 10 : Developing Fluency: Dividing by 1 Digit Divisors
Topic Essential Questions:
- • How can repeated subtraction be used to model division?
- • What is the standard procedure for dividing multi-digit numbers
Topic 11: Fraction Equivalence & Ordering
Topic Essential Questions
- • How can the same fractional amount be named using symbols in different ways?
- • How can fractions be compared and ordered?
We have taken a break from Social Studies to focus on Science standards. We resume our lessons next month, where students will learn about the routes peopled traveled to get to California and our study of the Gold Rush!
We are working on our Energy unit in science. Our kids are learning that energy exists within our own bodies and all around us. Energy exists in different forms such as potential and kinetic energy. We are also learning there are different types of energy, so be sure to ask your child what we are learning in class as we go through our interactive unit!
Mission Field Trip
Emig & Freschi
Mission Field Trip
Burrell & Betando
1:45 School Spelling Bee
Martin Luther King Day/No School
Field Trip Reminders:
- Our Mission Field Trip is coming up next Thursday 1/17 and Friday 1/18. Here are some tips for the field trip:
- Parents who are driving, please be at the school no later than 8:45.
- We will leave the school at about 9:00.
- Be sure your child brings a bag lunch!! Also, bring a snack and a drink!
- Be sure NOT to bring MONEY, PHONES, CAMERAS.
- Parents, please feel free to take pictures, but be sure to turn off your flash.
- Be sure to bring a jacket as we will be eating outdoors.