DHS Engineering and Design AcademyMentor ProgramThank you for your interest in becoming a mentor for the DEDA Mentor Program! This program is designed to provide college & career guidance for our junior Engineering Academy cohort students.Please review the Scheduled Meeting Dates for 2017-18 as well as the Mentor Program Handbook. A 2017-18 handbook will be provided to all mentors during the orientation.The application window for this year is now open! Please apply by August 18 to be a mentor for the 2017-18 school year.QUICK FACTS:
- Mentors should have experience in an engineering or technology related field.
- Mentoring is a one-year commitment starting in September and ending in May.
- Participating students are juniors from the DHS Engineering & Design Academy.
- Mentor-student meetings take place on Thursdays once per month from 10:52am-11:43am.
- Each mentor will be grouped with 1-2 students.
- Mentors must complete an application and personal profile to be carefully matched to their student(s).
- Application deadline for the 2017-18 school year is Friday August 18, 2017.
- All mentors must attend a mentor orientation on Thursday 08/17/17 or Tuesday 08/22/17, 6-7:30pm.
- We are looking for 52 mentors this year, so if we have more mentors apply than spots available, mentors will be selected based on compatibility to our students' career interests.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR MENTORS:
Step One: Review the Scheduled Meeting Dates and responsibilities listed below.
Step Two: Complete the online application.
Step Three: Attend the Mentor Orientation. Selected mentors will receive an email by September 4 to confirm their selection.Come to the first meeting on September 7 ready to meet your mentee!MENTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
We expect mentors to:
Please feel free to contact the Academy Coordinator with any questions or concerns.Ms. Eugene Chou at email@example.com
- Commit to attending all scheduled meetings and notify Academy staff if there is a sudden conflict
- Work with mentee to re-schedule any meetings missed
- Be on time to meetings
- Be positive
- Share with students about your career, successes, lessons learned, etc.
- Listen to students with an open mind
- Respond to e-mail correspondences in a timely manner
- Be a resource to students when they need career advice or business contacts
- Notify Academy staff if students need additional guidance or discipline