Community Service Requirement for Advanced Scholar Diploma
Community Service Requirement:
50 hours of approved community service during your four years in high school is required for the Advanced Scholars Diploma only.
Below are the guidelines:
- Option 1: Up to 30 hours may be earned while participating in on-campus activities including Student Leadership, student clubs/organizations which participate in community service activities (see list here), and peer tutoring. 20 hours will then need to be completed off campus using the guidelines below.
- Option 2: 50 hours completed off-campus. These activities must be performed at a non-profit organization and be unpaid. Examples include: working at a food bank, building homes for Habitat for Humanity, working at the Tri-Valley SPCA, or tutoring elementary school children at the library. Political campaigns, church-related activities and internships also qualify. For more approved activities come in to the Career Center.
- You may only earn up to 8 hours per day in a specific activity. For example if you are volunteering as a camp counselor for a week during the summer, only 8 of the 24 hours each day may be claimed as community service.
- When the community service project is completed, submit your Community Service Form/ Community Service Log to your school counselor. Forms are attached below and on the “Forms” tab.
- If you are not sure if your community service activity is appropriate, please see your school counselor before you begin the project.