Return to Headlines

Wells Middle School Students & Staff Return to Campus After Reported Gas Leak Resolved

August 15, 2019

3:00 p.m.

Dear Wells Middle School Families, 

The safety of our students and staff is of utmost importance.  The Wells staff and district are dedicated to keeping you informed as issues arise and we want you to be aware that we have made preparations to respond effectively.

Today, at approximately 11:45am, our students and staff safely evacuated our campus due to a reported gas leak. They relocated to the blacktop area behind our school and our staff worked diligently to ensure all of our students were accounted for during the evacuation. Meanwhile, nearby Valley High School prepared their gym for us in case it took longer than anticipated and we needed to relocate to an indoor area. Thankfully, the issue was resolved quickly and our students were not affected by the heat.

PG&E immediately arrived on the scene to investigate and worked in conjunction with the Dublin Police Department and Alameda County Fire Department. Shortly after 12:00pm, the Dublin Fire Department issued an “all-clear,” allowing our students and staff to return to school. 

Since the evacuation occurred in the afternoon, we did not want it to impact lunch for students or staff. As a result, we adjusted our bell schedule to make sure everyone was fed and rested and then shortened afternoon class periods to accommodate these changes. 

We’d like to thank PG&E, Alameda County Fire Department, Dublin Police Department, Dublin Unified School District and our incredible students and staff for how they handled this evacuation. We are only three days into the school year, have not practiced a drill yet, and they did a great job. 

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. 


Robert Slauson
Wells Middle School


August 15, 2019

12:30 p.m.

At approximately 11:45 am, all students and staff at Wells Middle School were safely evacuated to the fields behind their campus due to a reported gas leak. PG&E quickly arrived on the scene, resolved the issue, and shortly after 12:00 pm issued an "all clear." Students and staff are now heading back to campus. We want to thank PG&E for their quick response. As always, the safety of our students and staff is our top priority.