Return to Headlines

Are you taking a trip during the school year?



It is imperative that your student attends school daily. Lost classroom time is difficult to replace. However, if you find that you need an extended absence during the school year, you will need to request an Independent Study Contract. The contract gives your child attendance credit. If work is not received by the scheduled deadline, the contract will be considered incomplete and voided. The student will not receive attendance credit. Below are the guidelines and policy for requesting an Independent Study Contract.


1. Parent must complete an Independent Study Contract Request in the office at least 10 school days prior to planned absence (School days are defined as days students are in class).

2. Students whose achievement level is below grade level standards may not be eligible.  (There must be evidence that the student will work independently to complete the program.)

3. Students who have had an Independent Study Contract (ISC) in the past and did not successfully complete it, are not eligible for a new contract.

4. Contracts are issued for a minimum of 5 school days and a maximum of 10 days.

5. Contracts may not be faxed or emailed.

6. A student with disabilities, as defined in Ed Code 56026, is not eligible for Independent Study unless his/her individualized education program specifically provides for such participation (Ed Code, 51745).

7. Student must turn in work before or on the agreed contract date to the Kolb Office


Contracts must be approved by the teacher and the principal.